November 15, 2011

Review: Shadow Dance by Susan Andersen

Author - Susan Andersen
Genre - Romantic Suspense
Series - N/A
Format - Paperback (384p.)
Rating - 5/5 stars
Read an excerpt

What Lurks in the Dark Shadows of the Heart?

Most men who see Amanda Charles dance worship her from afar. But one "admirer" is getting too close to the glamorous showgirl...perilously close. The looks, style, and grace that make Amanda sparkle on stage have now made her something else: the target of a serial killer.

Detective Tristan MacLaughlin has drawn the case that is pulling him deep into a world of pageantry and dazzle -- and closer to the stunning, violet-eyed beauty who keeps her secrets and emotions locked tightly inside. Tristan never thought he'd be bewitched by Amanda's charms, never though he'd care. And he never imagined that by wanting her, by trying to protect her, he'd place her in the gravest danger of all.


• Review •
Even though the score doesn't reflect it, I love Shadow Dance. It's so close to being a favorite, that if not for one teeny little problem it would be. That problem is the pace. It starts out so unbelievably slow that, had it not been for the fact that I read it before and knew that things would pick up soon enough, I would have DNF'd it.

The characters are great. Believable, endearing. They all did some questionable things, but I feel that that made them more human for me. They weren't perfect, or too-good-to-be-true. The writing—hello? Susan Andersen?— is excellent. Even though Shadow Dance was originally published in 1989 it was brought enough up to date where it's not noticeable at all. And being Andersens first novel, I'm blown away at how well it's written. Love it!

Overall, I love Shadow Dance. This is one of my yearly re-read books. I've read it every year for the past 9 years. And I plan to continue that tradition. This book is like a giant bowl of chicken soup for my soul, constantly reminding me what I really enjoy in a story. This is definitely one of my comfort reads. The suspense is raw, the "bad guy" chilling. An intriguing, smart, gripping novel that never fails to deliver for me. I highly recommend Shadow Dance to fans of Andersen or romantic suspense novels dealing with a psychotic serial killer.

★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! This is an award-free blog, while the sentiment is appreciated, a comment is praise enough. ^.^