October 21, 2011

Review: Opposites Attract by Hailey North

Author - Hailey North
Genre - Contemporary
Series - N/A
Format - Paperback (384p.)
Rating - 3/5 stars

Can a man this bad…
Jonni Landry DeVries was nuts to have let her twin sister, "the Love Doctor," talk her into opening her stately New Orleans home to a Hollywood film crew. Struggling to recover from a marriage that ended in tragedy and protective of her impressionable young daughter, Jonni's sure the last thing she needs crossing her threshold is Cameron Scott, the notorious Hollywood womanizer! If only all men were like the refined actor who plays “Mr. Benjamin.” But the infamous Mr. Scott is another story, and she's more determined than ever to resist the bad boy's considerable sex appeal. Ah, but Cameron is a better actor than Jonni imagines…

…be too good to be true?
Cameron Scott is amazed that Jonni, the lovely hostess he's been spending every free moment with, doesn't see through his clever costume. Even worse, she's come to like Mr. Benjamin, but has made it clear that she wants nothing to do with the disreputable Cameron Scott. Will she forgive him when he's unmasked -- and give him a chance to prove that he's not the cad the tabloids make him out to be? Or will she toss him out before the final reel runs?

• Review •
Okay, Opposites Attract is not part of a series but it does go with the book Dear Love Doctor. In that book the heroine, Daffy, is Jonni's twin sister. And we do spend some time with Daffy and her now husband Hunter, but not enough where if you haven't read the first book, it would ruin Opposites Attract. I know that's confusing… I confused myself. ::sigh::

Now for my thoughts on Opposites Attract. Meh. It was an okay read. Nothing special. It's been almost a decade since I've read Dear Love Doctor, but I still remember it and it's impact. Opposites Attract doesn't even compare to that book. Personally, the strongest point for me was the characters. I adored them all.

The story itself was decent too. It just had a tendency to drag. Especially in the middle. It started out at a great pace, then slowed way down, then at the end it went into mach speed and it was over before I realized what was going on. No proclamations of love or anything. Next thing I know, it's the epilogue and Cameron and Jonni are married. The end.

What? Talk about rushed! But other than that, Opposites Attract wasn't horrible. Just average. Nothing special. It had some very sexy moments and some very funny moments… I have no regrets with reading it. I bought it at the UBS in town, and so I'm satisfied also with the price I paid for it. It made for an okay, fluffy "escape read". I recommend it if that's what you're looking for, and you find it cheap enough.

★★★

• Favorite Quote •
"Oh, oh," Cameron said. "Bad thought alarm." He made a screeching noise and flapped one arm. "Evacuate the brain. Evacuate the brain!"
Jonni couldn't help herself. She had to laugh. "Where did you learn to be so silly?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! This is an award-free blog, while the sentiment is appreciated, a comment is praise enough. ^.^