November 29, 2011

Review: Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

Author - Jennifer Crusie
Genre - Contemporary
Series - N/A
Format - Paperback (391p.)
Rating - 4/5 stars
Read an excerpt

Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. Even if she does wear great shoes, and keep him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, they cut their losses and agree never to see each other again.

But Fate has other plans, and it's not long before Min and Cal meet again. Soon, they're dealing with a jealous ex-boyfriend, Krispy Kreme donuts, a determined psychologist, chaos theory, a freakishly intelligent cat, Chicken Marsala, and more risky propositions than either of them ever dreamed of. Including the biggest gamble of all-true love.

• Review •
First off, BET ME is insanely hilarious. So many laugh out loud moments. And 'grinning doofus face' moments when I wasn't laughing. I love Jennifer Crusie's writing too. I had no problems visualizing the crazy scenes, especially the wedding mayhem.

The characters, while starting out great, began to get on my nerves at the end. The dialog was written in a way that was overly exaggerated. Which made them all seem like insane drama-queens. Yes, even the men. Plus, I never really liked Cal. He was okay but very shallow in my opinion.

Overall though, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Toward the end it did start to get a bit repetitive which dragged the pacing down. Personally, I could have done without several scenes that didn't really add anything to the story, in turn shortening the book about 100 pages or so. I'd re-read it again though in a few years. The humor is what carries this book no doubt. It is the only reason I had so much fun reading BET ME.

★★★★

1 comment:

  1. I loved Bet Me! It was so much fun and I remember giggling a ton! I am talking out loud while listening (yep did it on audio book)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! This is an award-free blog, while the sentiment is appreciated, a comment is praise enough. ^.^