October 7, 2011

Review: Dane by Liliana Hart

Author - Liliana Hart
Genre - Erotica
Series - The MacKenzie Brothers Quartet #1
Format - eBook (63p.)
Rating - 2/5 stars

Bad boy, Dane MacKenzie, is coming home to Surrender, Montana. It’s been ten years since he left the woman he loved behind to make a name for himself, and now he’s bound and determined to claim her once and for all.

But Charlotte Munroe has no desire to welcome home the Prodigal Son with a fatted calf. The bitterness of Dane’s betrayal runs deep, and she has no plans of letting him back into her life. Especially since she’s trying to protect the son Dane isn’t aware exists from heartbreak, since she’s sure he’s only going to walk out of their lives again.


• Review •
For a short story, I realize that there's some aspect that has to suffer. I get that. In Dane it was the conflict and the subsequent resolution that really irked me. It was too tidy, I guess. I wanted and expected more reaction from the characters in regards to the secret child. This short story was an alright read though.

The suspension of disbelief is needed, at least it was for me. I also loathed Charlie from the get-go. She is the ultimate definition of TSTL in my eyes. Dane would have been better off finding a lawyer and going for custody of the kid. Lord knows Charlie is an unfit mother…

I did like some things about Dane though. The concept—while unoriginal—was written well enough to be intriguing. A good amount of detail went into characters, more so with the brothers because of the series of course, than with Charlie… but that was a good thing. And Dane is hot enough to melt my screen. He did have a little inbred redneck moment with his brothers at the bar, but it ended quick enough.

Ultimately, it was an okay, quick read with superb pacing. I'm glad I got it for free though, because Charlie makes it unworthy of a .99c price tag in my opinion. I will try the other books in the series only if they're free too. I can't recommend Dane, but my opinions and judgements were formed early on, so maybe a sample would be a good idea.

★★

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! Following from over at GoodReads - More than just a rating.

    Dorothy - The Alaskan Bookie
    Blog ~ http://alaskanbookie.blogspot.com/
    Twitter ~ http://twitter.com/AkChocoholic

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! This is an award-free blog, while the sentiment is appreciated, a comment is praise enough. ^.^