August 17, 2011

Review: Black Magic by Cherry Adair

Author - Cherry Adair
Genre - Paranormal Romance
Series - N/A
Format - Paperback (400p.)
Rating - 3/5 stars
Read an excerpt

SHE HATES USING MAGIC…
Ever since the death of her parents, Sara Temple has rejected her magical gifts. Then, in a moment of extreme danger, she unknowingly sends out a telepathic cry for help—to the one man she is convinced she never wants to see again.

HE’S A POWERFUL WIZARD…
Jackson Slater thought he was done forever with his ex-fiancée, but when he hears her desperate plea, he teleports halfway around the world to aid her in a situation where magic has gone suddenly, brutally wrong.

THEY’VE BEEN CHOSEN TO SAVE THE WORLD…
But while Sara and Jack remain convinced they are completely mismatched, the Wizard Council feels otherwise. A dark force is killing some of the world’s most influential wizards, and the ex-lovers have just proved their abilities are mysteriously amplified when they work together. But with the fate of the world at stake, will the violent emotions still simmering between them drive them farther apart… or bring them back into each other’s arms?

• Liked •
Adair did an awesome job fleshing the characters and world out. I loved Jack! Charming, witty, strong, capable, funny and realistic. Even though Sara was a hypocrite… I’d still hang out with her. She has good fashion sense, and she can be funny when she wants to be. We wouldn’t be BFF’s or anything, but she’s okay.

As for the environment, it felt like I was there. I could feel the humidity of the jungle, smell the earthy smells that Adair was describing, etc. It pulled me in and made it seem like instead of reading, I was experiencing right alongside the people. Not many authors can do that for me, I mostly stay detached from what I read.

• Didn't like •
I could have done without a lot of the woo-woo magic stuff personally. But then, I guess, it couldn’t really be called a paranormal romance in that case. Honestly, I bought the book because I was familiar with Adairs early works, and didn’t bother reading the back blurb. It was good, don’t get me wrong… but I prefer books that have some semblance of realism in them. Also, the overuse of acronyms seriously got on my nerves by the end.  It would have been fine if it was a characters thought or dialogue, but since it was neither… it was fail. And finally, the cover. Not my cup of tea. Too dark.

• Final thoughts •
Hmm, It was hard rating Black Magic, but I think I’m being fair giving it a C. I’d recommend it to fans of paranormals, Cherry Adair, and adventures though.

★★★

• Favorite quotes •
“He’s out of his mind and doesn’t know what he’s doing,” Sara yelled, eyes now fixed on the gun Jack was pointing at Alberto. “He might’ve been bitten by something.”
“By what—the devil?”
≈ ♥ ≈ ♥ ≈ ♥ ≈ ♥ ≈
His pheromones didn’t just call softly to her pheromones; they stood on a mountaintop and yelled her name.
≈ ♥ ≈ ♥ ≈ ♥ ≈ ♥ ≈
{Sara} “I can't decide, did you mean it to come across as gothic with a hint of creepy or as early caveman chic?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment! This is an award-free blog, while the sentiment is appreciated, a comment is praise enough. ^.^